How to avoid falling into the FRIEND ZONE
“You are like a brother to me”. “You are such a great friend.” “Any girl would be lucky to have a great guy like you beside her”. If you have heard this before, there is a great possibility that you have fallen into what is known as the FRIEND ZONE. You have entered a place where the girl is happy to have you around as a companion she can talk, shop and gossip with. There is nothing wrong with this, unless you have romantic feelings for her. There are some steps to be taken whether you are already in the friend zone or trying not to fall in it.
WHAT TO AVOID
- Being TOO close: Spending too much time with her and becoming her “buddy” could be a deal breaker. Be careful on how the time with her is spent and do not go crazy doing favors for her and being overly nice expecting her to like you. It takes more than that. Have your own friends. Don’t be calling her and making yourself so present and available all of the time. Make your own plans without her.
- RELATIONSHIP ADVICE: You can be her friend and listen to her but once she starts asking for advice on dating, love and other men, you are in deep trouble. Becoming her confidant in this aspect is not really a favorable circumstance when you are trying to have another type of relationship with her. Remember, you are not “one of the girls”.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- TOUCH: This sound creepy but it is not. Let me explain. If you touch her in a sensual way, she will know that you are flirting and that your intentions are more than just to be friends. A simple touch to her lower back when you are walking or leading her way, touching her arm, face, hands, and one of my favorites, HUGS, are examples of ways you can get closer.
- HONESTY: Take the risk and be honest about how you feel about her. Do not be afraid of being rejected and losing her as a friend. We often wonder about the intentions a guy friend has for us. The best is to keep your intentions up front so don’t beat around the bush and do put your feelings out there and speak up. Establish that you like her. Tell her that you want more than a friendship and when you both go out make your outings a “DATE” by using the actual word. If she does not reciprocate the feelings, at least you know before you fall further in love with her. On that note, you should also be honest with yourself.
- KNOW WHEN TO WALK AWAY: Listening to her venting about other men out there will make it worse for you. You will become frustrated, jealous and bitter. This is when you have to ask yourself the following: Am I willing to put myself through this pain?Don’t stick around being her platonic friend, waiting to see if she changes her mind. As I stated earlier, do your own thing. Start treating her as an acquaintance. Make room for someone in your life and heart that feels the same way about you. Also, be careful falling into the cat and mouse game. Sometimes people want what they can’t have. Once you back up, she might miss having you around and come to you to only leave you again. Think about your feelings first, second and third.
It is not easy to be trapped in the Friend Zone. At any given time in our lives, we have all fallen into it. Yes, it does happen to women as well. The way you handle it could go a long way and change the course of your relationship. Some of the best relationships DO start as good friends first. Remember though that whatever the outcome is, the most important thing is to stay true to yourself.
Follow me now on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/darlenevaz @darlenevaz
Posted on May 27, 2014, in Relationship Advice and tagged boyfriends, Dating, friend zone, friends, girlfriends, honesty, hugging, just friends, kissing, love, marriage, platonic, relationships, touch. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.